Friday, November 27, 2009


We survived our first Thanksgiving! It was quite an experience since we volunteered our turkey for the ward Thanksgiving dinner. We woke up on the morning of and put our turkey in the microwave to defrost. It took about an hour and then we attempted to season our turkey with most of the inside still being frozen. Fred is not a fan of touching dead raw animals so I shoved my hands inside of the turkey and grabbed out the useless things we were supposed too. We finally got the turkey in at about 9:15. It was only supposed to take 3-3.5 hours to cook so we figured we had plenty of time. As the turkey was cooking we decided to walk down the street (literally!) to watch some of the Macy's Day Parade. It was actually really cool to be able to see some of the huge floats that were there. We weren't there long before we headed back to check on the turkey and finish making the stuffing. We pulled out the turkey a little before noon to check it out and it didn't look good in the fact that it was still really pink in most areas. Not good. We put the turkey back in to cook and started making the stuffing. We made 6 boxes worth and cooked it in the biggest pot we had. Unfortunately when we added the stuffing it proved to be almost not big enough. We were so nervous it wasn't going to fit, but luckily we were able to keep everything in there. 12:30 rolled around and the turkey should have been done. It wasn't which made me so nervous. Fred went ahead and took the stuffing to the church while I stayed at home fretting about the turkey. At one point I took the turkey out and accidentally burnt myself on the pan and spilled some of the juices on the door. I ran my finger under what I thought was cold water, but was actually hot water. Needless to say I was muttering nonsense under my breath. Fred came back home to help me take the turkey up to the church and sadly it still wasn't done! When we got up to the church we let the turkey cook for another hour. While we were there we enjoyed the food and company that was present. For our first Thanksgiving away from home, it was really nice! As we were ready to go we realized the turkey was finally done! So we now have a full turkey carved up and in our fridge for later eating. I did taste some of it before putting it away and I have to say, for our first turkey we did quite well!
Not much else has been going on. I am starting my nannying next week and am so excited! It'll be nice to earn some money and get out of the house and keep busy! I am really really hoping this turns into a permanent position for the new year! We have less than 3 weeks before we're home for the Christmas and we're both so excited! We'll be back on New Years Eve day and walk over to Times Square to bring in the New Year! It's so nice to live where we are and being able to be so close that we can head over whenever we want and not have to fight the crowds so much to get home.
Well that's it from our end. We hope that the holidays find everyone happy and well!

No comments:

Post a Comment